I wanted to make sure I captured the blur of events that happened during the first thirty days in the farmhouse. i’m sure i’m missing some things, but these are the most memorable.
in no specific order:
- we unpacked and organized close to 90% of our boxes – including stuff we’ve had in storage for the last 6 years.
- we had concrete backsplashes poured to match the counters. and successful got one was installed. the larger one has to be remade. (ouch)
- we learned that a dehumidifier would save our air conditioning bill and keep us a lot more comfortable during the humid pre rain days. (it works!!)
- we bought a zero turn lawn mower and a regular push mower – yes there is that much grass.
- we designed and finished a 60ft x 40ft fenced in garden space with 10 raised garden beds made from lawn timbers.
- we had 2 giant piles of fill and organic planting soil delivered for the above veggie boxes. (we may have too much dirt – so flowers may be coming sooner than i thought)
- we put together rocking chairs, a bench, a love seat, two chairs and a table, a dining table and six chairs for our outdoor front and back patios.
- we had a total of 8 overnight guests. my dad came for 10 days! it was awesome to have him here. (i think my mom would agree)
- we bought a circular saw that i used to cut logs!
- we made it through 30 days over 80+, with a lot of them being over 90 degrees. (even in the rain, and it’s not summer yet!)
- brooklyn made friends with the horses.
- we all learned how to feed the cows what their owner calls “cow crack”. the cows now come straight to the fences to see if we have treats.
- we goat fenced the playpen, and in a few months we’ll add nygierian pygmy goats!
- we hearded the cows out of the playpen twice – gotta fix the fence where they keep getting in before the goats come.
- we had a run in with a local politician over misplaced recycling – which we had nothing to do with, but because he found our info on some of the boxes he called and accused us of illegal dumping. M went NY on him for the false accusation. (eek)
- we took a trip to see The Alamo!
- we got a pool cover made to keep the pool clean.
- we built a fire pit and enjoyed it 3 times before it flooded.
- we took the jeep mudding
- cooked a jackrabbit shot on the property
- we lived through our first tornado. it went right over the house, broke two trees in half and took limbs off of 8 others. we survived, the house survived, and our little country street made the local news. what didn’t survive we discovered a week later when the standing water from what we thought was poor drainage started flowing over the driveway. our main water line to the house had been cracked because the tree roots wrapped around it were pulled in the 85mph winds.
- and, we bought a chainsaw
it’s been a crazy 30 days, full of fun, learning, anxiety, and love. we look forward to the upcoming year being a little less stressful, but equally full of things learned and great accomplishments!
wallum farm – #firstthirtydays
xo – n